The challenge in defining quality is that it is a subjective concept, like beauty. Everyone has a different definition based on their personal experiences.
- The totality of characteristics of an entity that bear on its ability to satisfy stated and implied need.
- Quality is the ongoing process of building and sustaining relationships by assessing, anticipating, and fulfilling stated and implied need.
- degree to which a set of inherent characteristics fulfils requirements. (as per ISO 9000:2005)
- Conformance to requirements - Crosby
- Fitness for use - Juran
Quality from different point of views:
- From customer point of view: quality means fitness for use and meeting customer satisfaction.
- From process point of view: quality means conformance with the process design, standards and specifications.
- From product point of view: quality means the degree of excellence at an acceptable price.
- From the cost point of view: quality means best combination between costs and features.
Various Informal Definitions
- Adding value
- Conformance to customer needs
- Attributes most important to the customer
- Error-free output
- Meeting Legal, Regulatory & Customer Requirements.
- Value-added care and service
- The maximum Variation we can get away with
- Doing the things right the first time and every time
- Bringing the perfectness in the system from all respects to give the optimum solution
- If the criteria meets the bench mark criteria
- Reduction of variation around the 'Mean'.
- State of Mind
- Commitment to improve
- Understanding and optimizing the whole system
Dimensions of Quality
|Product Quality Dimensions (Eight Dimensions of Quality)||Service Quality Dimensions|
Three key elements of quality:
Elements which influence a product or service's ability to satisfy customer needs :
- Quality of Design : A product needs to be designed to satisfy customer needs.
- Quality of Conformance : Closeness with which the finished product or supplied service matches the specifications of the original design.
- Quality of Reliability : ability of the finished product to provide trouble free performance in the field, over an acceptable time period.